Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, the use of face masks has become not just an optional safety measure, but an absolute precaution. Apart from social distancing, the Center for Disease Control urges everyone to wear face masks when going outside of their homes or going to places where it may be challenging to stay six feet apart.
These days, there are many face masks for sale, ranging from surgical face masks to cloth face masks. However, not all people seem to know how to wear them properly. For some, wearing face masks can be a bit uncomfortable, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t follow the face mask instructions on wearing them correctly.
Why Should I Wear a Face Mask
Face masks help hinder the spread of germs by preventing the inhalation and transmission of contaminated droplets, which are bodily fluids we excrete while talking, sneezing, or coughing. If we are sick, we stop spreading around our illness when we wear face masks. In the same way, we help prevent those around us from catching our ailment.
How to Properly Use a Face Mask
Here are step-by-step face mask instructions on how to wear and remove face masks:
Steps on How to Wear a Face Mask
- Wash your hands with soap and water.
- Remove the mask from its packaging and inspect if there are any tears or holes. Do not wear them if there are any visible damages as these may be contaminated.
- Remember, the top part of the face mask is the portion with the hard but bendable edge. This part should be touching your nose.
- The colored side of the face mask should be on the outer side, while the white part should be touching your face.
- There are different ways to wear face masks, depending on the type you’re wearing. Always bring the face mask at nose level before securing it in place, whether with ear loops, ties, or bands.
- Pinch the adjustable edge to fit your nose securely.
- Once the face mask is in place, re-adjust the lower part of the mask to ensure that it is covering the area from your nose down to your chin.
Steps on Properly Removing a Face Mask
- Do not forget to clean your hands by washing them with water and soap first.
- Do not touch any part of the mask, except for the ear loops, ties, or bands.
- As you unclasp the loops/ties/bands, swiftly move the face mask away from your face.
- Immediately throw the used face mask in the trash can, and quickly wash your hands with soap and water afterward.
Wearing and removing face masks take only a couple of seconds. They are also affordable and readily available in the market. Please do not take them for granted as they can save your life.